We believe that the cement of a great organization is an intense focus on the values that guide its members actions.
- We are committed to education for the greater benefit of our students, without flattery, shortcuts or complacency.
- We are committed to the values of honesty, integrity and responsibility.
- We recognize, in every artist, the non negotiable need to develop unique skills in order to pursue his/ her artistic vision.
- We believe in the fundamental right to personal expression and recognize that art is most importantly an emotional and intuitive form of expression.
- We believe in positive learning. We use abundant doses of patience, humor and enthusiasm.
- We treat every student with respect and courtesy, and with the same intent to achieve, with them, their very best regardless of their level of entry, their previous experience or the style in which they learn.
- Friendliness and courtesy are the language spoken in our teaching environment
- We do not acknowledge the concept of “mistake” in art. We are compassionate with our students efforts, and we rejoice in their successes.
- Art is a very important part of life. We go out of our way to make it possible for our students to achieve their goals.
- We believe in concepts in art, solid knowledge as a fundamental base for creativity and in the objective criteria that are part of education.
- We believe we paint who we are and we try hard to become better people as well as better trained artists.
- We are all artists at heart. We become painters by training. We commit ourselves to guide our students to be the best they can be in both these endeavors.
- We depend on our students, their enthusiasm and their commitment, to achieve and maintain an environment that supports and nurtures their creative development.
Brigitte Curt and Jim Smyth
California Academy of Painters